Monday, May 9, 2011

Job Club II

Last Thursday I attended another Job Club at Worksource in Tacoma. The topic was how we deal with the daily stresses of life as well as the stress of being unemployed and looking for work. The speaker didn't show up so we didn't have a presentation but a couple of other Worksource personnel filled in. I think we had a good discussion. One woman almost dominated the conversation but she made me think of what I learned in the Human Relations in the Workplace class I took at Pierce. The workplace is made up of different personality types and they all have something to offer from their perspective and how they think. I could see she is the type who focuses on concrete ideas. She keeps herself going by identifying what she needs and the resources available that she can use and makes lists. I could see her asset as organizing resources for teams or organizations. She would be good at reporting on progress for projects, assessing resources needed and laying out timelines.


The basic ideas that came out of Thursday's discussion about how we deal with stress was that one has to keep a positive attitude and think about what one can do in spite of adversity and obstacles one runs into. The Worksource personnel talked about how a downturn places stress on those laid off as well as those left behind. Those left behind have to work twice or three times as hard because they are doing the work of more people.


The Worksource personnel pointed out how the Worksource office is made of different organizations that don't share the same database and don't necessarily talk to each other. However, there are workshops and orientations that help people navigate the resources available. They also talked about how budget constraints means fewer personnel to provide the same services. The legislature is threatening to cut some services and almost completely wiped out the Dislocated Workers Program otherwise known as WIA. We all talked about how we can't get good jobs without education and the country can't compete globally without an educated workforce. One person pointed out that employers are having a tough time finding well trained, experienced workers.


I'm one of those that was able to go to school thanks to the Dislocated Workers Program. I think it's really short sighted to cut education and assistance that helps people find jobs or improve their skills to get a good job.


Before I left, I had the opportunity to show my portfolio to more people and handed out my business card.

No comments:

Post a Comment