Saturday, May 7, 2011

Contracts

It seemed to me that in dealing with clients, the sticking points were contracts and pricing. Then I read a tip on the AIGA site which basically advised presenting a contract with confidence. If you seem unsure the client will pick that up and become wary of the contract. I realized I was expecting the client to hesitate on the contract so of course I've been running into problems.

I am now taking what I see on the AIGA site, GAG and other resources on the web to write my own contract. Terms that I will not compromise on are "agree" and "agreement". The rest can be negotiated as appropriate for the assignment. The plan is to have one boiler plate document that can be customized for each client and assignment.

There are several boiler plate contracts in the Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook but if my eyes are glazing over when I read them then how can I explain the sections to the clients?  So I'm creating a document that can be better understood by me and the client.

The other tip I got from the AIGA site was to present a contract in a professional manner. Have a folder and use nice paper not cheap copy paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment